A warming and nutritious khichdi made with bajra, moong dal, spices and herbs. Bajra is an amazing source of vitamins, minerals, iron, folate, zinc and magnesium.
- Bajra – 2 tbsp
- Moong dal – 2 tbsp
- Ginger – ¼ tsp, finely chopped
- Green chilli – ¼ tsp, finely chopped
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Asafoetida powder – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee – 1.5 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Add 2 tbsp bajra in a mixer jar. Pulse the bajra coarsely. Transfer it into a bowl. Add water and stir. Let the water cover the bajra. When the husk particles get separated and flow on the water, discard the water. Repeat this process thrice. Drain all the water and keep aside.
- Heat 1.5 tsp ghee in a pressure cooker. Add ¼ tsp cumin seeds and let it splutter.
- Add the chopped ginger and green chillies. Stir and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the bajra and mix well. Stir continuously on low flame.
- Add a pinch of turmeric and asafoetida powders. Mix well.
- Pour 1 cup water and season with salt. Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles on medium flame.
- When the pressure settles, open the cooker. Stir the semi cooked bajra mixture very well. Add the moong dal and enough water. Stir and mix very well. Pressure cook for 7 to 8 whistles on medium flame.
- Once the pressure settles, open the cooker and stir very well.
- Serve hot.