A protein rich dry sabji which also provides antioxidants from ash gourd. The antioxidants – flavonoids and carotenes protects the body against cell damage and certain conditions like type 2 diabetes and heart disease
- Chana dal – 1/3 cup
- Ash Gourd – ½ kg
- Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – ½ tsp
- Green chillies, slit – 2
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a kadhai. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let it splutter.
- Add turmeric powder and asafoetida powder.
- Add soaked chana dal and ½ cup of water.
- Cover and cook on a low flame till the dal turns soft.
- Add ash gourd pieces, salt and green chillies.
- Cook well till the ash gourd turns soft and the water evaporates completely.
- Serve hot.