This is a heart friendly, high fibre recipe. Stewed apples are baked with a topping of high – fibre muesli and are loaded with oats and nuts.
For the stewed apples
- Apples – 2 cups, sliced
- Brown sugar – 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 2 small sticks
- Lemon juice – ½ tsp
For the muesli
- Oats – ¼ cup
- Wheat bran – 1 tbsp
- Walnuts – 2 tbsp, chopped
- Almonds – 1 tbsp, chopped
- Raisins – 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon powder – ¼ tsp
- Vanilla essence – a few drops
- Low fat butter – ⅛ tsp, for greasing
- In a broad non – stick pan, add ½ cup of water, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks and lemon juice. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the sliced apples and mix well. Cook on a medium flame until the apples turn soft.
- Discard the cinnamon sticks and keep aside to cool slightly.
- In a broad non – stick pan, add the oats, wheat bran, walnuts, almonds, raisins, cinnamon powder, a few drops of vanilla essence and mix well. Lightly roast them on a slow flame for 2 mins. Transfer the mixture into a bowl and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Grease a baking tray with low fat butter.
- Spread the stewed apples at the base of the tray. Next spread the muesli evenly over it.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degree celsius for 10 mins. When the muesli turns golden brown in colour turn off the oven.
- Serve immediately.